Don't let Frozen Pipes cause damage this winter!
Frozen pipes can burst and can pump out over 250 gallons of water per day
Almost 250,000 families have damage in their homes every winter, all because of water damage that results from frozen pipes.
Recovering from the damage is not as simple as calling a plumber. Extreme damage can take place as rapidly from even a small crack in a pipe (which can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day!) Consequently, damages can occur throughout a house and can affect ceilings, walls, and floors.
By taking a few precautions, you can avoid the mess, money and frustration that this process can cause.
Before the cold hits:
Insulate pipes in your home's crawl spaces and attic. These areas are most susceptible to freezing. Don't forget that the more insulation you use, the less chance your pipes will freeze.
Seal leaks that allow cold air inside near where pipes are located. Look for any air leaks around electrical wiring, dryer vents and pipes. Properly use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out and the heat in.
Disconnect water and garden hoses.
If your pipes freeze:
Call SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale to help! We are available 24/7 and can be reached at (630) 920-9334. We are experts and are prepared to help in your time of need.
Furnace Safety and Fire Prevention
Keep areas around your furnace free of clutter!
October is home fire prevention month so SERVPRO® of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale wants you to be safe as we enter into the cooler weather and start using our furnaces. Follow these tips provided by The American Red Cross to insure you're ready and safe before you turn on your furnace.
1. Place a clean air filter in your furnace.
2. Avoiding cluttering areas around furnaces or heaters with debris or junk as they can catch fire and spread.
For more tips on home fire safety and prevention contact SERVPRO® of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale at 630-920-9334.
We can help with cleaning your air ducts too! We are ready to help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
Frequently Asked Questions about Mold
Mold in the laundry room of a home in Western Springs.
Mold can be difficult to detect, and most homeowners don't even know it's growing until significant damage has already occurred. Answers to these questions might help to prevent mold from growing in your home in the future.
When Does Mold Grow Most Commonly?
Mold damage is most common in the spring and autumn months when rainfall is still common, but temperatures are more desirable for the mold. Mold grows when it's warmest and wettest, but mold can grow at any time of year.
Can Mold Grow Without Water Damage?
Although much of the mold we deal with comes as a side effect of water damage, standing water can certainly create an environment for mold growth. Mold can find sufficient amounts of water from mild spills, heightened levels of humidity, or even just the regular moisture in your home.
What Can I Do to Prevent Future Mold Damage?
Making sure that your water systems are secure and leaks are sealed is the most important step in stopping future mold damage. Past that, talk to a SERVPRO representative to learn about mold-resistant paints and finishes that we can apply to help ward off mold even if conditions do go awry.
Why Do I Need a Professional Remediation Service?
Some homeowners may assume that mold cleanup is a simple job, and choose to forgo hiring professionals for it. However, if you don't hire a certified company, you may end up doing more harm than good, spreading mold damage to other surfaces and perhaps giving it a fresh food and water source to feed on. Also, mold may be hazardous to your health and necessitates some advanced safety measures.
Over 7 tons of documents were salvaged and restored at the SERVPRO Tennessee facility after a fire swept thru this business.
In the aftermath of disaster, some of your most valued contents—documents, photographs, and books—could be lost forever. As a leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO LaGrange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale knows that timely mitigation is the key to recovering damaged possessions. With years of experience and state-of-the-art technology, SERVPRO’s restoration professionals will help you recover your paper goods before it is too late.
Our Document Restoration Facility:
- Innovative: we use the latest vacuum freeze-drying method, as well as gamma irradiation technology for sterilizing
- Secure: managed by HIPPA Master-certified technicians, under 24/7 surveillance
- Digital: we use a computerized inventory system for digitizing your documents
- Flexible capacity - we can accommodate large commercial losses or small residential jobs
- Full Service: we offer a range of services including drying, cleaning/disinfecting, re-jacketing, digitizing, and deodorization
SERVPRO document restoration team uses innovate vacuum freeze-drying techniques; in fact, we use the same freeze-drying methods used by the Library of Congress to dry valuable historic documents and books. Our vacuum freeze-drying process is the only method approved by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and the General Services Administration (GSA).
Types of content:
- Paper Documents
- Books and magazines
- Manuscripts and Files
- Photographs, Films, Negatives, and Microfiche
- Blueprints and Maps
Document Cleaning and Disinfecting
In many water damage situations, like sewage or flood water, documents will be exposed to bacteria, viruses, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. Our team uses a gamma irradiation process to safely and effectively sterilize your documents.
In the digital age, converting your paper files and photos to digital formats can have an invaluable impact on your business or home. With the help of SERVPRO’s restoration professionals to digitize your documents, you can save storage space and have access to your records at the touch of a button. And perhaps most important of all, you’ll have digital copies of your valuable documents that can’t be lost in a flood or fire.
Why Choose SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale?
SERVPRO of Burr Ridge/Hinsdale will get the job done right. For document restoration backed by state-of-the-art equipment, over 40 years of experience and Professionals trained to the highest standards.
Call us today! - (630) 920-9334 -
We've joined the Willowbrook-Burr Ridge Chamber of Commerce
We're officially members of the Willowbrook-Burr Ridge Chamber of Commerce! Thanks to Deb Jackson, Board President, along with Cheryl and Mary at the Chamber office for such a warm welcome. Check out the chamber website for our new member introduction. https://www.wbbrchamber.org/ We're looking forward to a long and prosperous partnership and already feel at home with so many of the local businesses that are a part of the Chamber.
Flooded Basement in Hinsdale
Basements can flood due to heavy rains and storms
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Hinsdale basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface Water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-Water tank failure
- And many more
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Please Call Us At - (630) 920-9334
We can be onsite within a few short hours, to inspect the damage and to begin the Water extraction process. We use advanced inspection and monitoring equipment to determine you’re your home’s structure is actually dry.
If Water damage is not handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your home’s structure not to mention the potential harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Here To Help - (630) 920-9334
SERVPRO at the Burr Ridge/Willowbrook Business Expo June 6th
SERVPRO at the Willowbrook/Burr Ridge Chamber Business Expo on June 6th
The Willowbrook-Burr Ridge Chamber of Commerce hosted the 20th Annual Business Expo on June 6th. This annual event was open to the public and many local businesses and area residents attended.
- A culinary demonstration took place by area Chef Jason from Posto 31.
- Representatives from I-Cash and the Secretary of State Mobile unit were also there.
- The Tri-State Fire Dept provided safety checklists for businesses and residents
- There were over 10 raffles and split the pot winners
- SERVPRO provided information on what to do in case of a water or fire disaster and gave a lucky winner a free lunch for their office.
The event was free and open to the public. It was great spending time with so many other active members! What a great afternoon.
Hoarding clean up is available by SERVPRO LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale
Call us to safely clean and restore your home
'Hoarding' is an actual condition when a person has persistent difficulty discarding personal possessions and can cause distress and health concerns. A significant amount of possessions overwhelm the home preventing normal use of the space or even making it unusable and dangerous.
Mold build-up can occur when trash or moisture builds up and air flow is compromised.
In addition, hoarding can increase fire risk in many ways:
- Electrical wiring may be old, worn, or exposed from the weight of piles. Rodents could chew on wiring. Damage wires pose a fire threat.
- Cooking is unsafe if flammable items are close to the stove or oven.
- Heating units may be too close to items or on unstable surfaces that could cause the unit to tip onto a pile which could cause a fire.
- Open flames from smoking or candles with excess clutter are very dangerous.
- Obstructed pathways and exits may prevent escape from a fire.
Additionally, hoarding could not only impact the homeowner, but, also the first responders to a house fire.
- A cluttered home would obstruct firefighters movement throughout the home.
- Firefighters could injure themselves from falling piles or even be trapped by blocked exits.
- The weight of the stored items, especially if water is added to extinguish the fire, could cause collapse.
- Clutter could impede the search and rescue of people and pets and make it difficult to provide medical care.
SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale has experience with cleaning hoarding homes. Hoarding is a specialty situation and in some cases involves some sort of biohazard situation. Personal protection equipment is a must in these situations and should not be completed by a family member or friend. If a family member is struggling and you need assistance, please call our office at (708) 482-9334. We will be happy to assist you in making your home safe and clean.
What Causes Mold inside a home?
Mold inside the walls of a home
Mold needs saturation or water to prosper. Mold spores will start spreading as soon as they find a wet surface. Some spots mold can cover include:
- Bathrooms. Showers, sinks, and toilets are perfect areas for mold. These spots tend to be soggy and, without powerful ventilation, will grow mold.
- Air conditioning and vents.
- Fireplaces. When not frequently in use, a chimney or fireplace is dark and cool—a productive ground for mold spore growth.
- Attics. On the off chance that your roof cracks, mold can reproduce and spread through the ventilation space in the regularly disregarded room. It will flourish in ventilation or soffit vents.
- Cellars. That obvious basement smell is confirmation of moisture and—more than likely—mold. Mold will be found encompassing the foundation, sump pump, windows, or vents.
In the event that there is mold proliferation in your home it is fundamental to stop it quickly. In the wrong conditions mold can spread quickly—in as meager as 24–48 hours.
If you are uncertain if your home or business has mold it is fundamental that you call a pro as fast as possible. The process begins by dissecting and testing the territory. The Mold Remediation Specialists at SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge Hinsdale are knowledgeable about water and mold removal.
Our team of specialists will survey the damage and, if required by law, get a protocol for a Certified Mold Assessor so we can start to devise a strategy. We will then spotlight the issue and get to work. Utilizing blockades and a negative air pressure chamber, SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale production team will stop the mold and begin cleaning and restoring your home or business to a safe, dry and clean environment.
Spring Cleaning at LaGrange Fire Dept
Commercial Cleaning Services are offered by SERVPRO
Keeping it "CLEAN & GREEN" at the LaGrange Fire Station. Our crew was cleaning carpets today...call it "Spring Cleaning", even though it's still cold and winter-like outside.!
The professional crew at SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale offers cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing biohazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. Our cleaning services include the following:
Call for a free on-site inspection and quote.