Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Are you worried your home has mold?
Mold can lurk in areas that are hard to see like underneath sinks
In general, mold is not a problem unless there is moisture in your home.
Here are a few things you can do inside your home to keep moisture levels under control:
- Open exterior doors and windows whenever possible to keep air circulating.
- For closets that are rarely used, keep the door cracked so air can circulate.
- Use AC units, dehumidifiers, and exhaust fans regularly.
- Purchase high quality air filters for your HVAC Unit.
- Watch for mold growth in the soil in your house plants.
- Fix water leaks.
- Check for condensation on your windows.
- Dry Wet surfaces as soon as possible.
- Don’t leave wet materials lying around.
If you are taking the steps necessary to reduce moisture and there is still a musty odor or if you see signs of mold, there may be a problem that only a remediation company can recognize. Contact SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale, at (708) 482-9334.
We are professionally trained and are qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professionals.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mold
Mold in the laundry room of a home in Western Springs.
Mold can be difficult to detect, and most homeowners don't even know it's growing until significant damage has already occurred. Answers to these questions might help to prevent mold from growing in your home in the future.
When Does Mold Grow Most Commonly?
Mold damage is most common in the spring and autumn months when rainfall is still common, but temperatures are more desirable for the mold. Mold grows when it's warmest and wettest, but mold can grow at any time of year.
Can Mold Grow Without Water Damage?
Although much of the mold we deal with comes as a side effect of water damage, standing water can certainly create an environment for mold growth. Mold can find sufficient amounts of water from mild spills, heightened levels of humidity, or even just the regular moisture in your home.
What Can I Do to Prevent Future Mold Damage?
Making sure that your water systems are secure and leaks are sealed is the most important step in stopping future mold damage. Past that, talk to a SERVPRO representative to learn about mold-resistant paints and finishes that we can apply to help ward off mold even if conditions do go awry.
Why Do I Need a Professional Remediation Service?
Some homeowners may assume that mold cleanup is a simple job, and choose to forgo hiring professionals for it. However, if you don't hire a certified company, you may end up doing more harm than good, spreading mold damage to other surfaces and perhaps giving it a fresh food and water source to feed on. Also, mold may be hazardous to your health and necessitates some advanced safety measures.
What Causes Mold inside a home?
Mold inside the walls of a home
Mold needs saturation or water to prosper. Mold spores will start spreading as soon as they find a wet surface. Some spots mold can cover include:
- Bathrooms. Showers, sinks, and toilets are perfect areas for mold. These spots tend to be soggy and, without powerful ventilation, will grow mold.
- Air conditioning and vents.
- Fireplaces. When not frequently in use, a chimney or fireplace is dark and cool—a productive ground for mold spore growth.
- Attics. On the off chance that your roof cracks, mold can reproduce and spread through the ventilation space in the regularly disregarded room. It will flourish in ventilation or soffit vents.
- Cellars. That obvious basement smell is confirmation of moisture and—more than likely—mold. Mold will be found encompassing the foundation, sump pump, windows, or vents.
In the event that there is mold proliferation in your home it is fundamental to stop it quickly. In the wrong conditions mold can spread quickly—in as meager as 24–48 hours.
If you are uncertain if your home or business has mold it is fundamental that you call a pro as fast as possible. The process begins by dissecting and testing the territory. The Mold Remediation Specialists at SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge Hinsdale are knowledgeable about water and mold removal.
Our team of specialists will survey the damage and, if required by law, get a protocol for a Certified Mold Assessor so we can start to devise a strategy. We will then spotlight the issue and get to work. Utilizing blockades and a negative air pressure chamber, SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale production team will stop the mold and begin cleaning and restoring your home or business to a safe, dry and clean environment.