Recent Water Damage Posts
Be Ready for the Rain
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale can help with your water damage emergency.
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale restores water damage 24-hours a day, and our fast emergency response time prevents secondary damage in many cases. Rainwater intrusion is a common cause of water damage that impacts residential and business owners. Here are some tips from the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety for protecting your home or business from rainwater intrusion:
Maintain Gutters and Downspouts
- Clean gutters and downspouts twice a year, ideally in the spring and fall, to prevent clogs that can cause water damage to your roof
- Keep trees trimmed and away from the roof to prevent leaves from clogging gutters
- If there is standing water, adjust the gutters so they gently slope toward the downspout allowing water to drain
- Ensure downspouts funnel water away from the building to prevent water from accumulating at the foundation or entering the basement
Water Damage Restoration Process
Step 1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Damage Assessment
Step 3: Water Removal/Water Extraction
Step 4: Drying and Dehumidification
Step 5: Cleaning and Repair
Step 6: Restoration
Call Us Today!
When your home or commercial business needs water damage restoration services, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale is available 24-hours a day to help. Please contact us at 630-920-9334.
Water Damage Happens Fast - Call SERVPRO
You can count on SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale to handle your water damage emergency.
Water is particularly invasive, quickly spreading throughout your property and being absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, etc. SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. Here is a water damage timeline that describes the kinds of damage water can do:
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
When your home or commercial business needs help with water damage, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale is Here to Help. Call us at 630-920-9334.
Water Damage - SERVPRO can Help!
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale is a leader in water damage cleanup.
When a small spill or a large water damage event happens, you can count on SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale to help. Business and property owners will benefit from our highly trained specialists that are on hand to take care of your emergency cleanup and restoration needs. Our ability to immediately respond to a water emergency helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Here are some of the water damage services SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale provide:
- 24-hour emergency response
- Water damage cleanup and restoration
- Mold remediation and mitigation services
- Building restoration services
- Carpet and upholstery cleaning
- Odor removal
- Disaster Recovery Team
- Commercial cleaning
- Storm damage
If you find yourself dealing with water damage from a leaky sink, a broken pipe or a failed appliance, or another kind of water emergency, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale wants to help. We are available 24-hours a day and our highly trained technicians have the specialized equipment necessary to safely clean and restore your property. Call us today at 630-920-9334.
Tips to Avoid a Soggy Disaster in La Grange
Follow these tips to keep your belongings safe from water damage.
Water damage is one of the most common disasters that your home can experience. Our homes are filled with many items that range from household items, toys, games, books, and many treasured heirlooms. It is important to take steps to protect these items in case you experience water damage in your home.
Here are a few tips from the Insurance Information Institute to avoid a soggy disaster:
- Store off-season and other bulk belongings in waterproof bins, especially in areas where there are plumbing pipes or that are prone to dampness, such as basements and attics.
- Never store valuables or memorabilia where there is a risk of destruction from water. Water and dampness also bring with it the threat of mold damage.
- Keep belongings stored on shelving off the floor in basements. In case of water seepage or sewer backup, they're less likely to get damaged.
- Keep an up-to-date home inventory. Having a comprehensive list of your possessions will save time, trouble, and stress in case of loss from water damage.
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale has a team of highly trained technicians ready to respond to your water damage emergency 24 hours a day. Call us today at 630-920-9334.
Small to Large Water Damage - Count on SERVPRO
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale can handle any size water damage emergency.
When a home appliance leaks or a large water damage event happens at your business, you can count on SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale to help. Water can travel fast, and it can seep into floors and walls without being noticed.
When SERVPRO arrives to help you after a water damage event, our team brings their devices, such as moisture meters, measuring tools, drying equipment, and a lot of experience. These pieces of equipment in the hands of trained staff can help you recover quickly, with no surprises afterward.
If your home or business requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including the following:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
When your home or business needs move-out and pack-out services, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale has a team of highly trained technicians on-call and ready to respond 24-hours a day. Call us today at 630-920-9334.
Water Damage Cleanup Tips
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale can handle your water damage emergency.
Water damage can occur at any time. SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale wants commercial and residential property owners to know that water damage in commercial buildings and residences can not only be unsanitary, but it can also be dangerous as items that are not thoroughly dried out can cause mold. Here are some tips from the American Red Cross to follow in the event of water damage to your business or home:
- Pump out flooded basements gradually (about one-third of the water per day) to avoid structural damage.
- Bring all soft items outside if possible – sunlight and wind will help them dry faster
- Throw out items that have absorbed water and cannot be cleaned or disinfected
- Remove all drywall and insulation that has been in contact with floodwaters
- Consider removing vinyl floor coverings and tile to allow the substructures beneath or behind them to dry
- Keep the windows open and run fans – or keep them shut and run dehumidifiers to pull moisture out of wood floors and subfloors, beams, doors, etc.
If you experience water damage in your home or business, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale wants to help. Our highly trained water restoration technicians are available 24-hours a day. Call us at 630-920-9334 to find out about our cleanup and restoration services.
Water Heater Maintenance Tips
SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale responds to water damage emergencies 24-hours a day.
Springtime is a great time to check on your water heater. Water damage can happen quickly, and it is important to make sure that it is in good working condition.
Here are some tips to inspect and maintain your water heater from the Insurance Institute of Business and Home Safety (IBHS):
- Inspect your anode rod every two years, or every year once the warranty has expired, to determine if it needs to be replaced.
- Flush water heater tanks every six months to remove sediment by attaching a garden hose to the valve at the base. For safety, first turn off the power and run hot water until it is cool.
- Get an annual inspection from a plumbing professional including the shut-off valve and all piping. Signs of broken valves and loose or wet joints and rust are a sign that more severe damage is coming.
If you experience water damage, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale has a team of highly trained professionals to help 24-hours a day. Please contact us at 630-920-9334.
Sewage Back Up
Toilet overflowing due to sewage back up in Willowbrook.
Sewage Back Up should be handled with care.... unlike fresh water, when a sewage line or extractor pump leaves contaminated water in your home or business, bacteria and other harmful contaminants could be present that can lead to health problems.
For homes the actual damage may not be so bad, and it can leave behind some not so pleasant smells....but for larger buildings that may be located in a city or downtown area, damage can come in all sizes, particularly when you are dealing with a main city sewage line!
These can cause not only terrible odors, but huge cleanups as well. Whether a small or large scale backup, SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale is ready to dive in to get the waste out!
Extracting whatever kind of waste is present is the first priority, followed by extreme power washing to make sure no residue is left behind. Finally, after everything is washed and wiped down its time to get rid of that smell. Using special chemicals that are made to rid the area of the smell and keep it that way are the specialty of SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale, so let us do the dirty work!
Don't let Frozen Pipes cause damage this winter!
Frozen pipes can burst and can pump out over 250 gallons of water per day
Almost 250,000 families have damage in their homes every winter, all because of water damage that results from frozen pipes.
Recovering from the damage is not as simple as calling a plumber. Extreme damage can take place as rapidly from even a small crack in a pipe (which can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day!) Consequently, damages can occur throughout a house and can affect ceilings, walls, and floors.
By taking a few precautions, you can avoid the mess, money and frustration that this process can cause.
Before the cold hits:
Insulate pipes in your home's crawl spaces and attic. These areas are most susceptible to freezing. Don't forget that the more insulation you use, the less chance your pipes will freeze.
Seal leaks that allow cold air inside near where pipes are located. Look for any air leaks around electrical wiring, dryer vents and pipes. Properly use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out and the heat in.
Disconnect water and garden hoses.
If your pipes freeze:
Call SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale to help! We are available 24/7 and can be reached at (630) 920-9334. We are experts and are prepared to help in your time of need.
24hr Emergency Water Damage - Helpful Hints
SERVPRO of LaGrange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration services.
When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help Call Today: (630) 920-9334 or (708) 482-9334
Water Damage Emergency Tips
After water damage, safety should be your primary focus:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical hazards should be considered - beware
- “Slip and Fall” injuries can take place- take caution
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After Flooding:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery and cushions
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Remove rugs from wet carpeting and hardwood floors
- Remove art objects and wall hangings to a safe, dry place
- Gather loose items from floors
What NOT To Do After Flooding:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water
- Don't use television or other household appliances
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging