Water Damage Cleanup Tips
Water damage can occur at any time. SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale wants commercial and residential property owners to know that water damage in commercial buildings and residences can not only be unsanitary, but it can also be dangerous as items that are not thoroughly dried out can cause mold. Here are some tips from the American Red Cross to follow in the event of water damage to your business or home:
- Pump out flooded basements gradually (about one-third of the water per day) to avoid structural damage.
- Bring all soft items outside if possible – sunlight and wind will help them dry faster
- Throw out items that have absorbed water and cannot be cleaned or disinfected
- Remove all drywall and insulation that has been in contact with floodwaters
- Consider removing vinyl floor coverings and tile to allow the substructures beneath or behind them to dry
- Keep the windows open and run fans – or keep them shut and run dehumidifiers to pull moisture out of wood floors and subfloors, beams, doors, etc.
If you experience water damage in your home or business, SERVPRO of La Grange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale wants to help. Our highly trained water restoration technicians are available 24-hours a day. Call us at 630-920-9334 to find out about our cleanup and restoration services.