Hoarding clean up is available by SERVPRO LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale
'Hoarding' is an actual condition when a person has persistent difficulty discarding personal possessions and can cause distress and health concerns. A significant amount of possessions overwhelm the home preventing normal use of the space or even making it unusable and dangerous.
Mold build-up can occur when trash or moisture builds up and air flow is compromised.
In addition, hoarding can increase fire risk in many ways:
- Electrical wiring may be old, worn, or exposed from the weight of piles. Rodents could chew on wiring. Damage wires pose a fire threat.
- Cooking is unsafe if flammable items are close to the stove or oven.
- Heating units may be too close to items or on unstable surfaces that could cause the unit to tip onto a pile which could cause a fire.
- Open flames from smoking or candles with excess clutter are very dangerous.
- Obstructed pathways and exits may prevent escape from a fire.
Additionally, hoarding could not only impact the homeowner, but, also the first responders to a house fire.
- A cluttered home would obstruct firefighters movement throughout the home.
- Firefighters could injure themselves from falling piles or even be trapped by blocked exits.
- The weight of the stored items, especially if water is added to extinguish the fire, could cause collapse.
- Clutter could impede the search and rescue of people and pets and make it difficult to provide medical care.
SERVPRO of LaGrange/Burr Ridge/Hinsdale has experience with cleaning hoarding homes. Hoarding is a specialty situation and in some cases involves some sort of biohazard situation. Personal protection equipment is a must in these situations and should not be completed by a family member or friend. If a family member is struggling and you need assistance, please call our office at (708) 482-9334. We will be happy to assist you in making your home safe and clean.