Keep your family and pets safe during the holidays
December is the peak time of year for home fires caused by candles. Follow the tips below to protect yourself, your family, and your pets.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than half of home decoration fires are started by candles in December. The top 3 days for home candle fires are Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day. Below are some safety tips to keep your home from becoming a statistic.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed
- Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle
- Use candle holders that are sturdy & won’t tip over easily
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home
Surprisingly Christmas tree fires are not that common but they are extremely dangerous. 1 out of every 45 reported Christmas tree fires resulted in death according to the NFPA. If you and your family celebrate the holidays with a tree in your home.
- Be sure to keep your tree watered so it doesn’t dry out, and if it does get rid of it ASAP.
- Make sure your tree is at least 3 feet from any type of heat source (fireplace, space heater, radiator, or candles).
- Read the instructions on your Christmas tree lights so you are not over the recommended amount to connect for safety.
And, let’s not forget our furry friends. They are part of the family too!
- Securely anchor your tree so it doesn’t tip over and fall causing harm to your pet
- Mistletoe and Holly are beautiful to decorate with but they are actually toxic to your four legged friend. You could always opt for artificial plants keeping the season bright and your pet safe
- Keep lights and ornaments out of paws reach
We want to wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season filled with happiness, love and joy.
The team at SERVPRO LaGrange / Burr Ridge / Hinsdale